Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter Miracle

Don't get too excited about the title of the post. It's probably not much of a big deal to anyone but me.

About 2 weeks ago, I got a call from the music director in our ward asking if I would be willing to participate in a special musical number in sacrament meeting on Easter. The music director is a friend of mine so I agreed to it. She told me that I 'could' be in charge of it and she let me know of a few other girls in the ward who sang. I contacted two other girls and also another girl who is the ward organist/pianist and asked if she would accompany us. They were all very sweet and willing which made my job a lot easier. I looked through the hymn book and decided that we would sing I Believe In Christ. We scheduled a practice the Thursday night before Easter Sunday. I was pretty anxious about the whole thing because I hadn't sung for a crowd in a group smaller than 20 in about 4 or 5 years. We decided during our practice that we would just sing the 1st and 4th verses (to minimize the singing time). After singing it through a couple of times, we thought it might sound nice to add a descant during the 4th verse and have someone sing the tenor part (an octave higher). One of the other girls tried it and she wasn't completely comfortable so I said that I could try. I guess it worked out because the other girls said it sounded great. The girl who was accompanying us said that she really wanted to sing with us. So, we decided that she would play for us for the 1st verse and then stand up and we would sing the 4th verse a capella. Singing a capella makes me nervous because if it isn't exactly right then it sounds HORRIBLE!!! We sang all four parts (tenor and base an octave higher) and we didn't sound half bad. After practicing more we really got it down. We decided to practice again on Sunday right before sacrament meeting just to be sure. The practice went well and we were ready.

We did a great job. I actually saw a sister in the congregation crying. You know you're doing a good job when you see that!

3 comments:

Ezra said...

I bet it was great! Wish I could have heard it.

JustLivingMYLife said...

thats seriously so amazing! i absolutly love that feeling you get when you know you sang great and people could really feel the spirit! i LOVE it! :D

ailinh said...

Yes, you guys did AMAZING! it sounded really beautiful. =)