Monday, April 30, 2007

No Excuse

Ryan and I were watching the Bulls vs. Heat game the other night. Shaquille O'Neal was at the Free Throw line and of course, he missed. I like to think that I know a little bit more about sports than the average girl. Maybe it's because I grew up with three brothers or maybe it's because I just like sports. Anyway, It is widely known that Shaq has a terrible free throw record. Many say that he has good excuses (I guess): Large hands, very tall so different perspective of hoop, etc. In my opinion, he shouldn't need an excuse. Shaq is an NBA legend, an offensive player. He has always been big, he should have learned to compensate. I think that instead of it being known that he has a bad free throw record, it should be known that he has a good free throw record, despite of his large proportions. I feel this way about all NBA players. Ben Wallace also has a bad free throw record. I understand that he is a defensive player. But that is why they are called FREE throws, they are easy. Boys, let me know if I'm out on a limb.

1 comment:

Ezra said...

I agree Abby no excuses, especially if you are getting paid that much. But I will say that being that I think players that are as big as Shaq, for whatever reason, don't have the fluid motions that smaller players do. That is why you never see a taller player handling the ball. So I think that larger players have to work harder to get the free throws down, but still no excuse. Yao Ming and Zydrunas Ilgauskas are both taller than Shaq and both have over an 80% free throw average compared to Shaq's 50 something.